Publishing Open Access

You may be able to publish Open Access (OA) at no further cost in one of our Transitional or 'Subscribe to Open' Agreements. These cover many of the major commercial and society publishers and most are funder agnostic.

What if a journal is not in a Publisher Agreement?

Depending on any funding acknowledged in your article and the OA model of the journal, funding may still be available to support payment OA charges. Full details of how to check are detailed below.

Alternatively, prior to submission of your article, you may complete an APC request form and we will check for you. Please ensure full details of all funders acknowledged on the paper are provided.

Fully Open Access Journals

If the journal is a reputable Fully OA journal, funds may be available to pay an Article Processing Charge (APC):

Transformative Journals

Transformative Journals meet specific criteria that mean Plan S funders will allow block grants to be used to pay OA charges:

If you are UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) funded:

If you are Wellcome Trust funded:

  • Check if the journal is listed as a Plan S approved Transformative Journal.
  • If the journal is listed, complete an APC request form and we will inform you whether funds are available to pay the APC.

Hybrid Journals

Library-managed funding is not normally available for papers in hybrid (subscription-based) journals, except where the journal is in a Transitional Agreement, or is funded by Cancer Research UK (CRUK).

If your funding does not come from UKRI, Wellcome Trust, CRUK or British Heart Foundation, check our funder pages to see if you can apply for OA costs directly from your funder.

What if funds are not available to publish OA in my journal of choice?

It may be possible to make your article open access via the self-archiving route. If your funders OA policy is not compatible with the journal’s OA policy, you will not be able to publish in that title. 


Professional Services