Hate crime

At the University we are committed to promote a diverse, tolerant and inclusive environment, where staff and students feel safe and protected, and support each other to learn.

We believe that hate crime  of any kind is never okay, and encourage anyone who witnesses or is a victim of a hate crime to report it, and access the support they need.

Find out more about the different types of hate crimes and hate incidents:


What is a hate crime?

A hate crime is when someone breaks the law by hurting another person because of prejudice against the person’s disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender identity.  This could include a physical attack such as touching, pushing or hitting, online harassment (e.g. through text, email or social media) or damage or destruction of personal property or belongings.

What is a hate incident?

A hate incident is any kind of prejudice or bias against a protected characteristic that is not a criminal offence. A hate incident can start as a micro-aggression; subtle behaviour that is directed at someone that belongs to a protected characteristic. Micro-aggressions can include everyday insults, offensive and hurtful words, slurs, degrading language, snubs, insults and online hate.

What to do if I am a victim or witness of a hate crime or incident

We encourage you to have the confidence to recognise a hate crime or incident and to report it.

You can report a hate crime or incident in a number of ways:

  • Call the police, phone 999 in an emergency or 101 for non-emergencies.
  • Use the police online reporting tool, True Vision.
  • Visit Guild Advice in the Guild of Students, where you can talk to a trained advisor.
  • Visit the Campus Police Officer (based in University Centre, opposite Spa).
  • Visit the University's Security Services.
  • Report online through Stop Hate UK.

Support available

There is a range of help and support available through the University, and we have a wide range of services you can access.  Vist our Feelings First page to help identify how you are feeling, thinking and behaving and help find the best option to suit your needs.  Or talk to someone today who can help with practical and emotional support.

Make a complaint about another student or staff member

If you are considering making a formal complaint about the conduct or behaviour of another student which could lead to a disciplinary process, we would advise you to read through the guidance on making a complaint about another student. If you have any further questions after reading the guidance, you may want to contact Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals to talk about the process involved. This meeting will give you the opportunity to ask questions, and make sure you are fully aware of what the process would involve before you submit a formal complaint. You can contact Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals by emailing conduct@contacts.bham.ac.uk


Professional Services