University of Birmingham staff who were members of the library during their working life are entitled to continued membership free of charge when they retire.
How to join
- Please complete the library membership online application form.
- When this is received, we will email you and ask you to reply with an attached passport size photograph which we will use when producing your new library card.
- We will then let you know when this is ready for you to collect.
- Your membership will be renewable annually.
- You will have access to the physical resources and facilities in all Library Services’ libraries.
- You will be able to borrow up to 6 books. Most books are available to be borrowed for one week and will renew automatically on the library system each night, if not required by another borrower.
- We will keep in touch with you by email and will notify you if an item has been recalled from you by another borrower.
- You will have access to support from our frontline staff both in our libraries and via Just Ask! online chat.
- If you find it difficult to access material on our shelves for mobility reasons, you may request items through our book fetching service. Please speak to us for details of how this works.
If you are retiring from employment as a member of academic staff, but feel you need enhanced library access in order to support your continuing research interests, please ask your School about honorary status.
Please contact us if you need any more information about retired membership.